Bittersweet


Is it possible to be jumping up and down with excitement and dragging your heels at the same time? That's exactly how I feel about our upcoming move to San Diego. Ray got orders to transfer to San Diego and for months I've been preparing.... well now we're only a week and a half away from the official move and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.

The house sold fairly quickly and we got what we were asking.... The Navy packs and moves us so I don't have to do much with our personal property except unplug the electronics and take the pictures off the walls.... My parents are traveling here only to turn right back around and drive back West with us, just to help us get our vehicles where we need them to be.... It's all coming together very well and I couldn't ask for much more, but there are mixed emotions about leaving.

Things I will miss most about Virginia:

  • Having had the same address for more than 5 years! Since I left my parents house is 1989, this is the longest I've kept the same mailing address.
  • "SweetTea" - This is definately a Southern thing and if I try to ask for this one word indulgence in California, they will look at me like I'm from another planet. Out there they will tell you they can bring you Iced Tea and you can add some sugar from on the table.... not the same.
  • Accelerating on Yellow and running Red lights - I learned quickly that you really have to do that in Virginia Beach; the guy behind you is counting on it. It was a shock when we first moved here, but I've gotten rather used to it now. I'll have to switch my thinking so I don't rack up the tickets, or worse get sideswiped in CA.
  • Changing Seasons - I will surely miss the beautiful foliage and raking the leaves for my kids to jump into. The median temperature in SoCal is around 73, so there isn't really definiative changing of seasons.
  • History - The rich history of our country and being in the thick of it here is a great thing. I have loved visiting Colonial Williamsburg and I wish my kids were a bit older to appreciate it. I will also miss my family history here. When we arrived, it was just the two of us. As we leave, we are a complete family. This is the place my children were born, the only house they've known. Though it's only for a few weeks, this is the place where Connor started school. So I am a little sad about the end of this chapter in our lives.
Things I am most excited for in California:

  • Real Mexican food - My dear friends who have lived here most of their lives just don't understand.... Virginia Beach restaurants don't serve REAL Mexican food although they try real hard. I still don't know what that white sauce is, but I can assure you it is not Mexican. I can't wait to enjoy a Carne Asada burrito or some Carnitas... Yum!
  • Beautiful weather - Now I'm not saying it's perfect... it usually does rain a couple of days in January, but other that that it's really mild and enjoyable. So long earmuffs - we had a good run for a few years, but I won't be needing you any more!
  • I'll take an occassional earthquake over an annual hurricane season any day!
  • A new perspective on my old stompin' grounds - I lived in SD for 10 years before we moved to Virginia Beach. I'm looking forward to seeing how things are with two kids in tow. My blog updates will not be focusing on the bar scene in the Gaslamp district, but rather reviews of the amusment parks and zoo!
  • Exploring all of the scrapbooking and stamping stores! When I came to Virginia Beach, I had never scrapbooked or stamped before. This obsession of mine has only developed in the past 5 years.... By the sheer volume of stuff, you wouldn't guess that nothing in my craft room was moved into this house, it's all been acquired since the transplant.... and Ray wonders where all our money goes :)
Whether I'm happy or sad about it, or a little of both, the move is coming very soon. I feel strongly that this is a good change for us.... good for our family, good for Ray's career, good on many levels. I can't express how happy I am that my boys will be growing up within a few hours of Grandma and Papa's house. We will be surrounded by family and the holidays will be so crowded and crazy, just like they are supposed to be. I can't wait. But in the same breath, I am leaving all of my friends - the girls that have made this place fun and kept me inspired in my crafting. I know, though, that through email and blogs we can stay in touch - and thank goodness, Southwest has pretty cheap flights between Norfolk and San Diego. I had a great time with some of these friends this weekend and I will update with pictures and details of that soon. For now, I've got to start unplugging some electronics and taking pictures off the walls....

No comments