Square Foot Gardening

Since we moved to Montana over 6 years ago, I have tried to embrace gardening. My father in law had a very established garden plot that was safely tucked in the fencing of the orchard, protecting it from hungry visitors. He shared his ideas and I watched him plant his favorites each year, only to feel overwhelmed by weeds within a few weeks.

My father in law has slowed down a bit in the last couple of years and has decided he's rather get his vegetables from Costco, so the garden has become mine. Last year it went completely ignored as I has hip-deep in the coursework for finishing up my Masters degree. I chose Costco vegetables too.

But this year I am free from coursework and feeling super motivated to grow my own veggies. I have done a lot of research to learn about raised beds and companion gardening. I worked hard to plot out my ideas and sketch design plans. I am feeling a new excitement for gardening and anticipating that I will get to spend more time tending to the vegetables than pulling weeds. That makes my heart happy!


What started out as a Mother's Day gift has turned in to so much more in a few short weeks. Ray and the boys worked to build raised beds. I thought I would just need a couple, but we've already expanded to 7, plus a large tub, antique wheelbarrow and 4 potato bags.


Nailed to the top of each raised bed is a grid that maps out each square foot. The concept is that the square foot is enough space to grow just about anything. Through much research, I discovered how much of each plant I can establish in each box, some needing more room for growth while others like to be close. The system will help keep weeds at bay, limit water needed and produce yummy results (or at least I hope... fingers crossed!)

No comments