Easy Thai Shrimp

One of my favorite ports visited during my Navy years was Phuket, Thailand.  It was beautiful, exotic and the food was so good.  I'd love the travel back some day, but in the meantime, I'll have to settle for a little get away at the dinner table.
This is a super easy dish and didn't take much time at all.  I try to keep a bag of frozen, raw shrimp in the freezer because it's an easy protein to work with and can be thawed and ready to go in a jiffy.
Gluten Free/Dairy Free Thai Shrimp and Rice

What you'll need:
Approx 3/4 lb shrimp, raw (thawed and peeled)
16 oz can of coconut milk (unsweetened)
3 t Red curry paste (add a little more if you like it hotter)
2 T brown sugar
2 T fish sauce
3 green onions, sliced thin with the tops reserved
1/3 c water
1 c frozen peas
steamed rice (I like medium grain so it's stickier and a little more traditional)

What to do:
Get the rice going in a covered pot.  I use a 2:1 ratio (water to rice) and I don't rinse my rice.  I like using sticky rice for these dishes because it feels a little more authentic.  If that's not your thing, use long grain or whatever you like.

To thaw my shrimp, I just put them in a collander and run under cool water for a few minutes.

Add the coconut milk and curry paste to a deep skillet.  Combine them well and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes.
Add in the brown sugar, fish sauce,water, green onions (except for a small handful you'll use to top your dishes at the end) and the peas.  Let this all come to a simmer and let it go for 10 minutes or so.
Toss in the shrimp and give them a good stir.  Keep them moving a bit as they cook.... this should only take about 5 minutes or so.  Shrimp cook really fast and you don't want to turn them into rubber.
Serve the finished shrimp over some sticky rice and top with sliced green onions.... tasty!

No comments